Date: May 13, 2017
Time: 10 am
Location: Greyhound Arena
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Registrar.Office@enmu.edu or 575.562.2175
We are proud to bring you coverage of the Fall Commencement Ceremony. Live coverage of the ceremony allows our students to share this important event with loved ones who normally would not be able to attend.
The doors to the Arena will open for seating at 9:00 a.m. Family and friends may enter through the main entrances, where they will receive directions to the seating area. No tickets are required; there is plenty of seating for everyone. Please note there is no reserved seating or holding seats for other guests.
During the ceremony, only official University and media photographers will be allowed access to the stage and the graduates' seating area for taking photographs. Family and friends must not enter the floor area to take personal pictures.
Graduates with Disabilities
Graduates with disabilities should contact Registrar.Office@enmu.edu or 575.562.2175 as soon as possible.
Wearing Your Academic Regalia
Academic regalia is required in order to participate in the commencement ceremony. Regalia can be purchased at the Bookstore and may not be altered, modified, or decorated in any way. Commencement is a special occasion that has procedures that emphasize dignity and formality. The following shall be observed:
Caps - The cap should be worn square on the top of the head, with the front point about the middle of the forehead.
Tassel on Cap
- Associate degree candidates will wear the tassel on the right throughout the exercises.
- Master's degree candidates will wear the tassel on the left throughout the exercises.
- All other candidates will be asked to stand in order to move the tassel from right to left, once all diploma covers are handed out.
Honor cords and pins -University honor cords and pins will be given out at the Honors Convocation, eligible students will receive an invitation. Bachelor's candidates will receive honor cords for cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude.
Hood – Master's degree candidates should carry their hoods draped across their left arm through the processional and stage, where they will be hooded.
- Faculty will assemble in the corridors of the lower level of Greyhound Arena (GA) at 9:30 a.m. Faculty listed on the south will proceed to the south corridor. Faculty listed on the north will proceed to the north corridor.
- Degree candidates listed in odd number rows report to the south corridor, lower level Greyhound Arena (GA) at 9:15 a.m. Enter the south gym (GA 95) where a list of names and rows will be posted to assist you in preparing for the processional.
- Degree candidates listed in even number rows report to the north corridor, lower level Greyhound Arena (GA) at 9:15 a.m. Enter the north gym (GA 88) where a list of names and rows will be posted to assist you in preparing for the processional.
Communication Services will be set up in the north and south gyms for you to take candid photos before finding your place in line. These pictures will be featured on our website as a thank you to family and friends.
As you are lining up, a staff member will give you a card with your name on it. You will take this card to the stage to be used by the announcer. Prior to the start of the ceremony, we ask that you take the time to write your contact information, including address, email and cell phone number on the back of your card. This information will be used by our photographers to send you picture proofs via mail, email, and/or text message. Proofs will be sent via email and text message within one week after the ceremony.
Faculty and candidates will proceed to their seats as directed by the marshals. Following the presentation of colors, national anthem, and alma mater, Dr. Gamble will step to the microphone and request a moment of silence. It is appropriate for men to remove their caps during the national anthem and the moment of silence, then replace them when Dr. Gamble invites the assemblage to be seated.
Following remarks, Dr. Gamble will introduce the vice president for Academic Affairs, who will introduce the deans of each college. The deans will then present degree candidates for their college in the following order:
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
College of Fine Arts
College of Education and Technology
College of Business
The deans will instruct students in their college to stand. Once all students from one college are standing, the president will confer the degrees and the students will be instructed to sit. We will move through all colleges and degrees in this manner.
Presentation of Diplomas
Dr. Gamble will then call for students to come to the stage to receive diplomas. The entire last row will stand together, as directed by the marshal on the extreme right hand side of the row. As soon as there is room for the next row to move out into the aisle at the extreme right, the marshal will have the row stand and follow the previous row to the stage. All rows proceed in the above manner.
- Undergraduate degrees – If you are receiving an undergraduate degree, give your name card to the volunteer on your approach to the stage. When your name is announced, move to the Board of Regents member who will hand you your diploma cover. When you leave the stage, walk directly back to your row where you should sit down as soon as you reach your seat.
- Master's degrees – If you are receiving a master's degree, you will be hooded on stage. As you approach the stage, you should have your hood draped over your left arm and you will be joined by the faculty member who will be involved in your hooding. A volunteer will take your name card. When your name is announced, move to the Board of Regents member who will hand you your diploma cover. Then step to the dean, where your hood will be placed on you while you face the audience. When you leave the stage, walk directly back to your row where you should sit down as soon as you reach your seat.
* This year we will have a team of three photographers to take three different photos of you as you walk across the stage. The first photo will be a close-up taken at the bottom of the ramp. The second photo will be your handshake with the stage member. The third photo will be taken in front of the gonfalon after you step off the ramp. The photographers will be taking these photos very quickly, so please be aware.
* If you prefer not to shake hands with the members on the stage, hold the diploma cover with both hands as you walk across the stage.
* Diplomas will not be included in the diploma cover at the time of graduation. They will be mailed to you in about six weeks after the grades have been reported to the Office of the Registrar.
Following closing remarks by Dr. Gamble, all will stand. The recessional is in the order of the processional. Administration, faculty and then students will exit the arena area. There will be a reception in the South Gym (GA 95) for graduates and their families immediately following commencement.
Commencement is a significant experience for most graduates, as well as their family and friends, so misconduct at this function cannot be tolerated. Eastern New Mexico University is a state institution and the possession or use of alcohol or a controlled substance is prohibited on University premises. If you are found with alcohol, or a controlled substance, or if you are acting in an intoxicated or disorderly manner, you will be escorted from the building and not allowed to return. Please help us make this a cherished and memorable event.
Other Important Information
Graduation Announcements – can be ordered online at Balfour
Diploma Frame – can be ordered online at Framing Success
Alumni Activities – We hope you will continue your relationship with ENMU by becoming active alumni. Please keep us informed of your mailing address changes or life updates:
ENMU Station 48
1500 S Ave K
Release of Diplomas and Transcripts – Diplomas and transcripts will not be mailed for any student that has a financial obligation to the University. Contact the Office of Student Accounts for questions, 575.562.2615.
Transcripts – Online transcript requests can be made from the portal, my.enmu.edu (the transcripts links are in the "Student Records" menu). If you need assistance, contact the Office of the Registrar, 575.562.2175.
Congratulations on your accomplishment of degree completion. We hope you have fond memories of your time at ENMU. If you have questions in the future concerning your records, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 575.562.2175 for assistance.