Date: December 11, 2021
Time: 10 am
Location: Greyhound Arena
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Registrar.Office@enmu.edu or 575.562.2175
We are proud to bring you coverage of the Fall Commencement Ceremony. The ceremony will be available for viewing on the ENMU website (www.enmu.edu/VirtualGraduation) at 10:00 am. Live coverage of the ceremony allows our students to share this important event with loved ones who normally would not be able to attend, due to health issues or great geographic distances.
The doors will open for seating at 9:00 a.m. No tickets are required; there is plenty of seating for everyone. Please note there is no reserved seating or holding seats for other guests. All participants must maintain proper social distancing throughout the event with the exception of family pods. Each individual family pod may not exceed eight (8) individuals
During the ceremony, only official University and media photographers will be allowed access to the stage and the graduates' seating area for taking photographs.
Graduates with Disabilities
Graduates with disabilities should contact Registrar.Office@enmu.edu or 575.562.2175 as soon as possible
Wearing Your Academic Regalia
Academic regalia is required in order to participate in the commencement ceremony. Regalia can be purchased at Herff Jones. The last day to purchase regalia is November 15, 2021. Commencement is a special occasion that has procedures that emphasize dignity and formality. The following shall be observed:
Caps - The cap should be worn square on the top of the head, with the front point about the middle of the forehead.
Tassel on Cap
· Associate degree candidates will wear the tassel on the right throughout the exercises.
· Master's degree candidates will wear the tassel on the left throughout the exercises.
· All other candidates will be asked to stand in order to move the tassel from right to left, once all diploma covers are handed out.
Honor cords and pins -University honor cords and pins will be given out at check-in. Bachelor's candidates will receive honor cords for cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude.
Hood – Master's degree candidates should carry their hoods draped across their left arm through the processional and stage, where they will be hooded.
· Graduates will enter and check in the Max PAC in Greyhound Arena. Graduates will check-in receive their card, and seat themselves by degree in their area of the field. More correspondence and direction will be sent closer to Commencement.
Following the presentation of colors, national anthem, and alma mater, Dr. Caldwell will step to the microphone and request a moment of silence. It is appropriate for men to remove their caps during the national anthem and the moment of silence, then replace them when Dr. Caldwell invites the assemblage to be seated.
Following remarks, Dr. Caldwell will introduce the vice president for Academic Affairs, who will introduce the deans of each college. The deans will then present degree candidates for their college in the following order:
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
College of Fine Arts
College of Education and Technology
College of Business
The deans will instruct students in their college to stand. Once all students from one college are standing, the president will confer the degrees and the students will be instructed to sit. We will move through all colleges and degrees in this manner.
Presentation of Diplomas
Dr. Caldwell will then call for students to come to the stage to receive diplomas. You will be directed by a marshal on how to approach the stage.
· Undergraduate degrees – If you are receiving an undergraduate degree, give your name card to the volunteer on your approach to the stage. When your name is announced, move to the Board of Regents member who will hand you your diploma cover. When you leave the stage, walk directly back to your row where you should sit down as soon as you reach your seat.
· Master's degrees – If you are receiving a master's degree, you will be hooded on stage. As you approach the stage, you should have your hood draped over your left arm and you will be joined by the faculty member who will be involved in your hooding. A volunteer will take your name card. When your name is announced, move to the Board of Regents member who will hand you your diploma cover. Then step to the dean, where your hood will be placed on you while you face the audience. When you leave the stage, walk directly back to your row where you should sit down as soon as you reach your seat.
* This year we will have a team of three photographers to take three different photos of you as you walk across the stage. The first photo will be a close-up taken at the bottom of the ramp. The second photo will be your handshake with the stage member. The third photo will be taken in front of the gonfalon after you step off the ramp. The photographers will be taking these photos very quickly, so please be aware.
* If you prefer not to shake hands with the members on the stage, hold the diploma cover with both hands as you walk across the stage.
* Diplomas will not be included in the diploma cover at the time of graduation. They will be mailed to you in about six weeks after the grades have been reported to the Office of the Registrar.
Following closing remarks by Dr. Caldwell, all will stand. The recessional will begin with administration and then students will exit the stadium.
Commencement is a significant experience for most graduates, as well as their family and friends, so misconduct at this function cannot be tolerated. Eastern New Mexico University is a state institution and the possession or use of alcohol or a controlled substance is prohibited on University premises. If you are found with alcohol, or a controlled substance, or if you are acting in an intoxicated or disorderly manner, you will be escorted from the building and not allowed to return. Please help us make this a cherished and memorable event.
Other Important Information
Graduation Announcements – can be ordered online at Balfour
Diploma Frame – can be ordered online at Herff Jones
Alumni Activities – We hope you will continue your relationship with ENMU by becoming active alumni. Please keep us informed of your mailing address changes or life updates:
ENMU Station 48
1500 S Ave K
Release of Diplomas and Transcripts – Diplomas and transcripts will not be mailed for any student that has a financial obligation to the University. Contact the Office of Student Accounts for questions, 575.562.2615.
Transcripts – Online transcript requests can be made from the portal, my.enmu.edu (the transcripts links are in the "Student Records" menu). If you need assistance, contact the Office of the Registrar, 575.562.2175. Official transcripts are $7.25 per copy.
Congratulations on your accomplishment of degree completion. We hope you have fond memories of your time at ENMU. If you have questions in the future concerning your records, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 575.562.2175 for assistance.
COVID-safe practices must always be adhered to for all participants and attendees. These include:
• All participants must wear masks prior to entering the venue, for the duration of the event, and while queuing for their entrance and receiving their award. Masks may not be removed until individuals have completely left the venue and parking lot.
• All participants must maintain proper social distancing throughout the event with the exception of family pods. Each individual family pod may not exceed eight (8) individuals. • A graduate may take his or her mask off to take a professional photograph before or after receiving an award. The individual must be the only person in the frame and must immediately put the mask back on after the photograph is taken. Graduates may not remove masks while standing in line for the photo.
• When an award is presented, please refrain from any sort of contact aside from passing awards or documents to graduates. For graduate-level ceremonies and presentations, hooding and pinning may take place, however, a mask must be worn at all times by all participants.
Registrar and Records
ENMU Station 5
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
Office Location: Administration Building (ADM), Room 105
Frequently Asked Questions about Commencement & Graduation:
How will I hear about commencement and graduation requirements after I apply?
All commencement and graduation-related correspondence will be relayed to your ENMU email address. Keep an eye on your inbox after you apply and in the weeks leading up to commencement. If you aren't receiving content and you believe you should, contact the Office of the Registrar at 575.562.2175 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure everything is in order with graduation application.
Where do I get my cap and gown?
Academic regalia can be purchased at the University Bookstore on campus. Please call 575.562.2715 for any questions you may have.
Can I decorate my cap?
Is there a commencement rehearsal for students?
What do I do if I can't attend commencement?
Please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com so that adjustments can be made to the seating arrangement.
What do I do if I want to participate in commencement, but I didn't indicate that on my graduation application?
Please contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so that arrangements can be made for your attendance.
To whom do I RSVP for the Honors Convocation?
Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at 575.562.2221 to RSVP for the (invitation only) Honors Convocation.
Can graduate students receive Honors?
No, Bachelor candidates are the only graduates eligible for Honors.
Are tickets required for guest attendance at commencement?
Does Greyhound Arena have handicap accessible seating?
Do I have to pay for my graduation photos?
If you'd like a copy of your graduation photos (provided from GradImages), payment will be required. GradImages will contact you shortly after the commencement ceremony with proofs.
If I change my address, will my diploma mailing address be automatically updated?
No, if you need to update your address and your diploma mailing address, email a request to the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
If I took classes elsewhere during my final semesters, how long do I have to send those transcripts to ENMU?
Transcripts from other schools should be sent as soon as grades have been posted at the other institution. All transcripts need to be received within the 2 weeks (13 business days) after grades have been posted at ENMU.
How long will it take to know if I received my degree?
The Office of the Registrar has 13 business days after the semester's grades have posted to conduct a final audit of the graduation applicant's requirements.
When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be available 4-6 weeks after commencement. The Office of the Registrar has 13 business days after the semester's grades have posted to conduct a final audit of the graduation applicant's requirements. Associate degrees may be picked up from the Office of the Registrar. Bachelor and Master degrees will be mailed to the address provided on your graduation application. Make sure to notify the Office of the Registrar of any diploma mailing address changes via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).