To access articles, click the title link and then the PDF link in the left-hand sidebar, if needed. Enter your portal username and password when requested. You may print, email or download the articles.
1. Barnhorst, A. B., Martinez, M., Gershengorn, M., & Hayley, B. (2015). Quality improvement strategies for critical care nursing. American Journal of Critical Care, 24(1), 87-92.
2. Briner, M. K., Kessler, O., Pfeiffer, Y., Wehner, T., & Manser, T. (2010). Assessing hospitals' clinical risk management: Development of a monitoring instrument. BMC Health Services Research, 10 337-337.
3. Burston, S., Chaboyer, W., & Gillespie, B. (2014). Nurse-sensitive indicators suitable to reflect nursing care quality: A review and discussion of the issues. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23(13/14), 1785-1795. doi:10.1111/jocn.12337
4. Cicolini, G., Coomparcini, D., & Simonetti, V. (2014). Workplace empowerment and nurses' job satisfaction: A systematic literature review. Journal of Nursing Management, 22, 855-871.
5. Giltinane, C. L. (2013). Leadership styles and theories. Nursing Standard, 27(41), 35-39.
6. Hansson, A-S., Vingard, E., Arnetz, B. B., & Anderzen, I. (2008). Organizational change, health and sick leave among health care employees: A longitudinal study measuring stress markers, individual, and work site factors. Work & Stress, 22(1), 69-80.
7. Huddleston, P. (2014). Healthy work environment framework within an acute care setting. Journal of Theory Construction & Testing, 18(2), 50-54.
8. Keating, S., & Tocco, S. (2013). Getting to the root of the root-cause analysis problem. American Nurse Today, 8(9), 56-59.
9. Laschinger, H. K. S., Finegan, J., & Wilk, P. (2009). Context matters: The impact of unit leadership and empowerment on nurses' organizational commitment. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39(5), 228-235.
10. Laschinger, H. K. S., Gilbert, S., Smith, L. M., & Leslie, K. (2010). Towards a comprehensive theory of nurse/patient empowerment: Applying Kanter's empowerment theory to patient care. Journal of Nursing Management, 18(1), 4-13. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01046.x.
11. Laschinger, H. K. S., Nosko, A., Wilk, P., & Finegan, J. (2014). Effects of unit empowerment and perceived support for professional nursing practice on unit effectiveness and individual nurse well-being: A time-lagged study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 51(12), 1615-1623.
12. Lindberg, P. & Vingard, E. (2012). Indicators of healthy work environments—a systematic review. Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation, 41(Supp 1), 3032-3038.
13. Liu, Y., Wu, L., Chou, P., Chen, M., Yang, L., Hsu, H. (2016). The influence of work-related fatigue, work conditions, and personal characteristics on intent to leave among new nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 48(1), 66-73. doi:10.1111/jnu.12181
14. McSherry, R., Pearce, P., Grimwood, K., & McSherry, W. (2012). The pivotal role of nurse managers, leaders and educators in enabling excellence in nursing care. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(1), 7-19.
15. Miranda, S., & Olexa, G. A. (2013). Creating a JUST culture: Recalibrating our culture of patient safety. Pennsylvania Nurse, 68(4), 4-10.
16. Murphy, N., & Roberts, D. (2008). Nurse leaders as stewards at the point of service. Nursing Ethics, 15(2), 243-253.
17. Oliver, D. (2007). Preventing falls and fall injuries in hospital: A major risk management challenge. Clinical Risk, 13(5), 173-178.
18. Sammer, C. E., Lykens, K., Singh, K. P., Mains, D. A., & Lackan, N. A. (2010). What is patient safety culture? A review of the literature. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42(2), 156-165.
19. Sherwin, J. (2011). Contemporary topics in health care: Root cause analysis. PT in motion, 3(4), 26-31.
20. Stausmire, J. M., & Ulrich, C. (2015). Make it meaningful: Finding quality improvement projects worthy of your time, effort, and expertise…second of a 4-part quality improvement. Critical Care Nurse, 35(6), 57-62.
21. Ulrich, B. T., Lavandero, R., Woods, D., & Early, S. (2014). Critical care nurse work environments 2013: A status report. Critical Care Nurse, 34(4), 65-79.
22. Vahey, D. C., Aiken, L. H., Sloane, D. M., Clarke, S. P., Vargas, D. (2004). Nurse burnout and patient satisfaction. Medical Care, 42(2): II-57
23. Van Bogaert, P., Peremans, L., de Wit, M., Van huesden, D., Franck, E., Timmkermans, O., Havens, D. S. (2015). Nurse managers' perceptions and experiences regarding staff nurse empowerment: A qualitative study. Frontiers in Psychology, 6, 1-10.
24. Vogelsmeier, A., & Scott-Cawiezell, J. (2007). A JUST culture: The role of nursing leadership. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 22(3), 210-212.
25. Vollers, D., Hill, E., Roberts, C., Dambaugh, L., Brenner, A. R. (2009). AACN's healthy work environment standards and an empowering nurse advancement system. Critical Care Nurse, 29(6), 20-28.
26. Wong, C., & Laschinger, H. K, S. (2013). Authentic leadership, performance, and job satisfaction: The mediating role of empowerment. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69(4), 947-959. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2012.06089.x.
To access the material below, click title link and enter password provided by your instructor.
1. Behamdouni, G., & Millar, K. (2010). Implementation of an enterprise risk-management program in a community teaching hospital. Healthcare Quarterly, 13(1), 72-78.
2. Flood, A., Zinn, J., & Scott, W. R. (2006). Organizational performance: Managing for efficiency and effectiveness. In Shortell, S. & Kaluzny, A. (Eds.), Health Care Management: Organization, Design and Behavior, (5th ed., pp. 436-448). Clifton Park, NJ: Thomson Demar Learning.
3. Hughes, K., Carryer, J. B., & White, J. (2015). Structural positioning of nurse leaders and empowerment. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24(15/16), 2125-2132. doi:10.1111/jocn.12839
4. Kuokannen, L., Leino-Kilpi, H., Katajisto, J., Heponiemi, T., Sinervo, T., & Elovainio, M. (2014). Does organizational justice predict empowerment? Nurses assess their work environment. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 46(5), 349-356.
5. Malloy, T., & Penprase, B. (2010). Nursing leadership style and psychosocial work environment. Journal of Nursing Management, 18(6), 715-725. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2834.2010.01094.x.
6. Mannix, J., Wilkes, L., & Daly, J. (2015). ‘Watching an artist at work': Aesthetic leadership in clinical nursing workplaces. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24(23/24), 3511-3518. doi:10.1111/jocn.12956.
7. McDonald, S. F., Tullai-McGuinness, S., Madigan, E. A., & Shively, M. (2010). Relationship between staff nurse involvement in organizational structures and perception of empowerment. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 33(2), 148-162.
8. Montani, F., Courcy, F., Giorgi, G., & Boilard, A. (2015). Enhancing nurses' empowerment: The role of supervisors' empowering management practices. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 71(9), 2129-2141.
9. Minnesota Nurses Association. (2008). Just Culture. Minnesota Nursing Accent, 80(4), 8-10.
10. Parens, J. (2015). Introduction to selected aspects of leadership. Proceedings of the Multidisciplinary Academic Conference, University of Economics, Prague, 1-7.
11. Regan, S., Laschinger, H. K. S., & Wong, C. A. (2016). The influence of empowerment, authentic leadership, and professional practice environments on nurses' perceived interprofessional collaboration. Journal of Nursing Management, 24(1), E54-E61.
12. Solomons, N. M., & Spross, J. A. (2011). Evidence-based practice barriers and facilitators from a continuous quality improvement perspective: An integrative review. Journal of Nursing Management, 19(1), 109-120. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2834.2010.01144.x
13. Wang, S., & Liu, Y. (2015). Impact of professional nursing practice environment and psychological empowerment on nurses' work engagement: Test of structural equation modelling. Journal of Nursing Management, 23(3), 287-296. doi:10.1111/jonm.12124
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, US Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these conditions, fair use, specifies that the photocopy or reproduction is to be used only for private study, scholarship, or research. If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of fair use, that user may be liable for copyright infringement.