Updating or Signing a New MOU?

Use the links listed below to draft a copy of your district MOU. Remember that not all options are available for every district. Administrators should review the course selections carefully. If you wish to change the listed STARS course ID numbers and titles, using the fillable course appendix will allow for easier changes.

Dual Enrollment Memorandums of Understanding

Dual enrollment Memorandums of Understanding are the official agreements between ENMU and the partnering district. Each MOU describes the scope of student expectations and obligations of each party. The final copy includes a course appendix outlining which courses are available in a school district and delivery locations.

Developing a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU)

Dual enrollment at New Mexico public, private, or charter schools requires that the respective districts develop and sign a Memorandum of Understanding between their school district and ENMU Portales.

  • MOUs must be updated a minimum of once every three years.
  • MOUs must also be updated if a change of the official signatory (usually a district superintendent) occurs. The MOU course appendix must be revised each year by law.
  • Once developed, the school district (LEA) is responsible for electronically submitting the MOU to the Dual Credit Education Administrator: Mark Duske (mark.duske@state.nm.us) Phone: (505)-827-6712.

Below are the steps for developing a Dual Enrollment MOU with ENMU Portales:

Step 1: Identify Local Needs

Evaluate both local needs and education goals for high school and college completion. Evaluate ENMU-Portales' course offerings to identify courses the district wishes to approve for participation.

Step 2: Collaborate on MOU Draft

The MOU serves as a record of collaboration between the Local Education Agency and the Postsecondary Institution (ENMU Portales). This collaboration allows each institution to align the agreement with high school students' college and career readiness goals. A sample of the default master agreement for the state is available for your reference on the NMHED webpage.

Focus on the following areas:

  • Articulate LEA & ENMU-P dual enrollment requirements
  • Discuss/Clarify: Grade level, GPA, or other factors determining eligibility at the high school level
  • Clarify postsecondary requirements: Grade level, GPA, placement scores, and other factors influencing eligibility at the college level
  • Review proposed course options to ensure that the courses selected fit the standards and benchmarks outlined by the NMPED.
  • For districts pursuing courses taught by credentialed faculty at the high school, both the LEA and ENMU-Portales must complete the following:
  • Evaluate prospective resource faculty for credentialing status as an instructor under the university credentialing body.
  • Determine if proposed courses are offered at institutions in the district's Geographical Area of Responsibility (GAR).
  • If course conflicts exist with a higher education institution (HEI)  in another geographical area of responsibility:
    ENMU-Portales will contact the HEI's administrative staff for formal approval of the proposed course offered within their GAR. Note that GAR only applies to courses offered onsite at the high school. This restriction does not apply to courses offered online.

Step 3: Sign and Submit

Complete MOU signatures and submit the final MOU to the ENMU Dual Credit Education Administrator

  • The LEA and ENMU Portales representatives sign the final Master Agreement
  • The LEA is responsible for submitting the final MOU to the state Dual Credit Education Administrator

Step 4: The State Uses MOU to Track Partnership

The New Mexico Higher Education Department and the Public Education Department then use the course appendix for tracking dual credit participation at high schools and ENMU-Portales. Note the following:

  • HED will not reimburse Postsecondary Institutions for courses unlisted in the Master Agreement.
  • PED will not reimburse LEAs for textbooks for courses unlisted in the Master Agreement.
  • If ineligible courses are included in the Master Agreement Appendix, these courses will not be reimbursed by HED, nor will PED reimburse LEAs for textbooks for ineligible courses (remedial, developmental, and PE activity courses are all ineligible for Dual Credit).

Step 5: Assign a Counselor or Representative

Assign a counselor or high school representative as the primary contact for student enrollment and begin registration.

For all discussions regarding MOU Development with our program, please contact:

Shaun Banther
Coordinator of Dual Enrollment and Continuing Education
Shaun.L.Banther@enmu.edu or Portales.DualCredit@enmu.edu



Staging Enabled